Tuesday, January 09, 2007

New semester.

So, I only have two classes this semester, and both of them started in different versions of the same way. My new bio professor, who seems much cooler than the last one, spent the first class talking about science. It turns out, there is a way of looking at the world where you can logically analyze the things you see, compare them quantitatively, and make predictions about what you might see in the future. And they call it: "Science". Ahh, science. I'm glad that the professor spent the entire hour on this important subject; otherwise, I might not be sufficiently prepared for seventh grade.

As for my chem class, which I am taking at the local community college, he actually dove into the material right off the bat. That, I like. I'm paying for fifteen weeks of instruction in these subjects; if I want my time wasted, I can simply skip class. The thing is, he was talking to the class as if we were third graders. He mentioned the same sorts of things my last bio prof talked about; how some people learn visually, others aurally. This is probably solid educational theory, but I'm a little sick of college professors overindulging on educational theory, and underindulging on educational practice. He seems like he's willing to actually teach the material, though, and from the looks of the syllabus, it shouldn't be too hard. So I'm willing to give this guy a lot of leeway on how he wants to do his thing.

I'm starting to enjoy college again. (I may have already written this next bit, but I feel it bears repeating, if only to make me feel better about myself.) I keep thinking of the song from "Avenue Q" that talks about exactly what I'm doing, but it looks at college as a social experience; a chance to get laid and avoid adult responsibility. For me, though, this is a chance to actually learn something I may someday find useful, and I think it is more responsible of me to get this degree than not. So maybe I'm not as pathetic as the hypothetical fictional re-attendee. Or at least, not for the same reasons.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

In honor of Ave Q, I might just skip the underwear today. Actually, I'm with you on this whole school thang.

I will be going back to get a degree that will actually get me a job. I also rather enjoy the learning process. I have no problems with the getting laid part, I'll work on that, but I probably won't party at all whilst getting my nursing degree.

Hell, I'll be living in South Dakota. I'm sure the parties are rockin' up there.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home