Saturday, January 06, 2007

Listening.

First, I want to point out a site I have found. I want this so badly, I will state its URL explicitly, instead of relying on embedded hyperlinks. If you go to www.librivox.org and peruse their library, you might just be pleasantly surprised. I think the poetry section has the most potential, though I would like to see an entire hour devoted to nothing but Dickenson and Poe. Best potential dead poet mash up EVER.

Last night was a full moon, I think. There were too many clouds to properly determine the actual lunar phase, but it was crazy enough at work that I will consider that alone to be sufficient evidence. I am now drunk, not just because I am a lush, but also because alcohol tends to prevent blood clots, which means it will help with the inevitable heart attack I must suffer every time I think about last night.

Without revealing too much, let me say this: in addition to being absolutely flooded with work, we also got calls from someone who wanted to know...
a) what effect gold has on the human body. I assumed at the time that he had ingested a small amount of it, but after hearing his other two calls, I'm not so sure...
b) what effect nuclear waste would have on the human body; for instance, if it were to be rained down upon an entire country. He ended that phone call by saying, "You understand why I'd ask". I must admit, I do not. He seemed neither fearful of someone else raining down nuclear waste on him, nor excited at the prospect of raining down nuclear waste on someone else, so I honestly don't know what to make of it.
c) how many particles are in water. Not, mind you, a specific amount of water, but in normal tap water. I decided to lowball it by saying a trillion trillion molecules of water are in one gram. This is, now that I do the actual math involved, just a tiny bit high. Well, at least I didn't mislead him. God forbid this person should go around disseminating false information.

At around 6 am, I got a call from the laboratory of the other major hospital in town; what I ignorantly refer to as the good one. At least, I assume they are better at the healing arts than are we; they are (unlike my employer) a for-profit venture, and as such can afford more competent low-level lab employees, one of whom called to ask about the very same gentleman who'd been quizzing me all evening. We had a nice chat, and it kind of perked up my whole night's experience to comiserate with a kindred soul.

At any rate, I am safely in my own home now. I am out of beer, and may switch to hard liquor, despite past lessons about its general effect on my digestive system. I mean, it has to be better for me than nuclear waste, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home