Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Education.

I learned some valuable lessons this morning. I tried to find out what kind of biochem degree the local private college has to offer, and the answer is "none". What's more, they do not cater to non-traditional students, a group I hadn't thought included me until a phone call to the college corrected me. Anyway, the college can't give me a degree because I'm too old and well-educated. Damn. I might be able to pull of young, but I've never been good at stupid.

So it looks like I will have to go for the local state college, which entails throwing myself at the mercy of an ungodly bureaucracy, the likes of which Hermes Conrad himself could never conceive. Seriously. I spent damn near three semesters as a freshman at the hands of these people, followed by two weeks of sophomorehood. Three more semesters of junior "year", and two of senior, and I was out. Free! Free of my surly bonds! Free of the maddening, groin-kickingly awful maze of their forms and lost instructions! If I return to that situation, have I learned nothing? Isn't my degree proof that I was smart enough, if not to beat the system, then at least to leave it? If I go back, is my first degree worthless? Well, it's in philosophy, so it's pretty useless anyway. So, yeah, I may well head back, but I still have months to consider the matter. And with my degree, I can consider it like nothing you've ever seen... or have you? Now there's a taste of some real philosophy, not like some amateur hacks seem to produce.

2 Comments:

Blogger PaganTomcat said...

So, I decided that not only do I need a new blog, but I need to prove how bad amature philosophy can get. Check it out at http://www.inthewire.com/toc.asp?AuthorAliasID=25660
Mike!

5:11 PM  
Blogger PaganTomcat said...

freakin' A. i can't believe he just posted under my name and didn't tell me. grrrrrrrrrr

-the REAL me

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home