Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My job isn't like yours.

Quite a few businesses have "casual Fridays", in order to ease the tension among coworkers and allow for a more relaxed atmosphere. Today, we had a "poke your boss with a sharp pointy needle Tuesday".

To be fair, it wasn't an official day or anything. It's just that a few new hires hadn't been trained on how to do a tuberculosis test, which involves an injection of some solution or other directly into the skin. So my boss, who has more generosity than I can imagine, offered up her forearms to let them poke her with a saline solution. From the look on her face as it happened, these kids need a little more practice.

I wanted to include a link up there, where it says "look on her face", to Eric making a "horror" face, but the URL is the same for all faces, so I'll let you explore on your own. If you bother to follow the link, then look through the list on the left hand, then click on "horror", you'll see what I'm talking about. Otherwise, you will be missing out on a truly great experience, you lazy prostitute.

As it happens, I was talking with my boss about my roommates during my break. She suggested that I simply move my furniture around the apartment without their consent or knowledge, something that strikes me as a little passive-aggressive. But hey, it's not like they're above moving my stuff around the apartment without my consent or knowledge, so if I do the same to them, it's just fair play, right?

Why is it that "fair play" always seems to describe some activity that is neither truly fair, nor particularly playful?

Still, since it's me moving my stuff around my apartment, instead of me moving someone else's stuff around my apartment, it is slightly less immoral. Only slightly, because they still end up being affected by it, but hell, it's worth a shot. And frankly, I would rather be happy than unhappy, and I'm feeling like living on my own will make me happy by a greater amount than screwing over my roommates will make me unhappy, if it comes to that.

On the subject of screwing people over, I'm wondering if I should take advantage of my hospital's generous offer to pay my tuition in a way I'm not sure they've dealt with before. There is, in this town, a private university which is (as private universities often are) quite expensive. If I go back to school and use my employer's money, I may well be able to get into this private school; I'm just not sure how happy HR will be about paying out private school tuition. But it's something I can clear up with them beforehand, since the handbook says nothing about which college I attend. It's not a deal on which I would stand to make a dishonest (or even enviable) amount of money, which is why I think it could work.

My hospital would make money off of me, because I would adhere to their "your classes must make you a better employee or we won't pay" clause by studying biochem or somesuch, and the college would make money off of me because I would be purchasing their good or service. Having a Bachelor's degree under my belt already means that I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket for (too m)any gen ed courses, and being a student means not paying back student loans for a little while. It seems like a very workable plan that benefits everyone involved, which is why I think it might not work. Cynicism is great; it cuts down on the unpleasant surprises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home