Thursday, February 02, 2006

Is it me?

I don't feel that paranoia is particularly bad for you, usually. Conspiracy theories about the JFK assassination, Men in Black, and Atlantis are great entertainment, and probably a healthy release for those who, let's face it, nobody wants to deal with anyway. But after a certain point, one starts to get the idea that a particular person or group is after you. Watching. Waiting.

For me, that group is ER doctors. If you cast your eyes bottomward, you will see my account of an ER doctor berating me for not having run tests on a specimen, when we had no tests to run. It is not my job to order tests to be run. If I were to order tests without explicit written directives to do so from a doctor, with several other conditions applying, it would be illegal. So, when I say I can't order tests, that's because I don't like being arrested and slapped with several lawsuits. It's a pet peeve.

Anyway, my boss pulled me aside today, asking me about the call I received, and the trauma that caused it. I hadn't mentioned it to him, and as far as I know, nobody actually reads my blog, so the only way for him to have heard about it was from the ER. Which means they filed a complaint. About me. You wouldn't complain about me, would you? At least, not formally? Of course you wouldn't.

But hey, I'm not the sort to hold a grudge, and I would never do anything to hurt a patient. But if I even need an ER, damned if I'll go to my hospital; I'm rolling the dice with the other hospital in town. They say, "Better the devil you know than the one you don't", but that assumes the devil you know isn't out to get you, specifically. At least the devil you've never met doesn't have any interest in you specifically.

1 Comments:

Blogger PaganTomcat said...

In difficult working conditions, I've found it's best to find a big, strong "mentor" like person and become his/her bitch. Take it from them, take it hard and fast, but! Be sure to remind them that they have certain obligations to you, namely, shanking anyone who dares cross you or offend your little bitch honor.
Mike!

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home