Monday, February 19, 2007

Oh, the weirdness...

I'm starting to discover some of the quirks of owning a Mac. I can't always type in Firefox the way I would want; this doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, since it's only the one program that is buggy this way. Instead, I think there's some weirdness about the keystrokes I use that prevent me from typing what I want in the fields I want. I'll go to type something, and I will hit the keys, and nothing shows up on the screen. The only rational explanation: I have hit some combination of keys that, instead of leading to typing, leads to, I don't know, a rift in timespace.

I would not previously have thought that a laptop could cause a timespace rift, but this thing is still full of surprises. I discovered it had no microphone port, and was concerned about being able to actually talk to people through the magic of Skype. I called my brother on the subject, and he said, "Oh, I just use the built-in mic." A built-in mic. Well, damn! That's awesome! What's more, I checked the box; this little bonus isn't advertised anywhere on it. This thing is so cool, it doesn't need to tell you how cool it is.

On the other hand, there's the other edge to the no-virus sword (Q. Why aren't there any viruses for Macs? A. No one uses them!), namely: I am having trouble finding a good webcam. Another service Skype offers, you see, is video conferencing. I think it would be pretty cool to sit down to my future-style vidphone and look at people in remote locations as they talk to them, but I haven't found a single webcam that is advertised as being Mac-compatible. It may be that they are compatible, and that just isn't a worthwhile selling point, but still. I guess it's not that big a deal, though; almost no one I've talked to over the past few days (or even tried to talk to) has wanted anything to do with me. I am currently expecting a visit from Father Damien. If I can't find a good webcam, maybe I'll just go out and get a subscription to some MMORPG or other, just for the human interaction. That's right! My priorities are so skewed that a) online games seem like real human interation, b) the whopping 35 degrees Fahrenheit we got today seems warm, and c) the three hour nap I got today seems like a full night's sleep.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry I missed your skype call, I don't have a mic plugged in to that computer, but I do to my skype laptop account most of the time. "laptopvoth" is the user name for that one.

I don't have cool built in much on my laptop. An SD card reader is the best I've got. No S-vid out, which sucks balls.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home