Monday, February 12, 2007

Experimentations.

So, I tried to hook my iPod up to my new iBook. I didn't load any software (the computer came with iTunes, of course); I just sat there, turned the computer on, and plugged the iPod in, just to see what would happen. First off, nothing exploded, and don't think I wasn't a little disappointed. Then, the computer offered to replace the library that was already on my iPod with the library that is on my iBook. There aren't any songs on my iBook. At all. No photos, no videos, nothing. I opted not to switch the iPod over. Maybe, if I had a super-convenient way to transfer my entire music library from one computer to the other (and I'm working on finding that path), I would do it, but for right now, things will stay the way they are.

My downstairs neighbor is moving away in a couple of weeks, to make his fortune in Chicago. He offered me his couches, and I gladly accepted. Hooray couches! But now, I will have to go out to Target or somewhere and pick up shelves, which will make more room in my bedroom for my current couch solution (a futon), which will make more room in my living room for my new couches. Hooray incentive to clean up my apartment!

I took last night off work, because I've been kind of ambushed the past three nights with doing blood draws, instead of sitting in the lab organizing specimens to be tested. I can't do phlebotomy every night of the week. It's not only exhausting physically, running all over the hospital on the whim of any nurse or doctor who wants a test, but also emotionally; in case you hadn't heard, hospitals are full of sick people. And to look a sick person, a person who is in pain already, a person who may well be dying, right in the eye and say "I'm going to poke you with a needle now", that's what drains me. About a third of the time, I can barely understand what my patients are saying to me, because they've got some sort of apparatus in their throat that lets them breathe or something. I'm not really good at distancing myself from their plight, and I don't want to be- I keep hearing how nice it is to have someone actually care about the patient, instead of treating them like your average coffee shop customer. If I distance myself, and just treat them clinically and with cold professionalism, I'm afraid I would lose that for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home