Monday, April 09, 2007

Guh?

I like a website called "Bloglines", which tracks some of my enjoyable, but less-than-vital RSS feeds. One of my feeds there is just a list of CNN.com's latest headlines. Today, I saw a straight-to-the-point kind of headline: "Easter celebrated." It's good to know; I had been wondering.

As I was getting off work this morning, one of my superiors took me aside to have a little chat. He mentioned that, as I was getting off work yesterday, I didn't pass along information about the state of the lab to my replacement; I just left. "Have a good day and I'm outta here", I believe, were my exact words. Outstanding orders, specimens without orders, any kind of chaos; I just let them figure it out on their own. Clearly, I'm a horrible person. What I said out loud was, "Sorry." What I neglected to mention to the person who was giving me this little chat was that (wait for it)...

He was the person I was supposed to be giving all this information to.

So why didn't I pass the info along to him? Because, at 7:00 am, when I was leaving work, he was nowhere to be found. No idea where he'd gone, what he was doing, or when he'd be back. And after getting trapped into overtime the day before, I wasn't about to spend a bunch of time tracking him down. Everyone has had bosses like this, I know. This is simply my boss like this.

But, from his perspective, he had an issue with my performance, and he sat me down to talk about it. No big deal, no fuss, no muss. Problem over. At least I hope that's where he's at; I would have a few things to say if this incident becomes a matter of record.

Oh, wait. This is a record. But I also said a few things in it. Don't you love it when things work out?

I hope that today brings another CNN headline: "Easter ignored until next year."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home