Sunday, April 01, 2007

Eecchhhh.

As I left work this morning, I noticed that it had rained at some point during the night. I also noticed that the rain had lured worms out into the open. Now, I'm no stranger to Michigan or rainy days or insects, but I wasn't prepared for the sheer volume of the little bastards. When I looked out across the sidewalk in the dark, I saw dozens, possibly hundreds of worms, oozing over the very sidewalk I had intended to use. I briefly considered walking on the grass, instead; there simply couldn't be any worms left on the natural ground.

Then I walked under a lamp. Which was, it turned out, a mistake. Because, in the harsh light of synthetic day, I made a horrifying discovery: the whole time I'd been gingerly avoiding stepping on any visible worm, I had failed to take into account the possibility of (wait for it...) baby worms.

Good... God. *shudder* So many worms...

The baby worms were everywhere. They outnumbered the adult worms by about ten to one, and once I saw them, I realized the amount of carnage I'd already caused during the thirty-foot or so walk from the door of my hospital to the street lamp. I cannot accurately describe how disturbing this revelation was; suffice to say, even Calvin & Hobbes would have been made ill. Not a good cap to the night.

Oh, god. I just realized the volume of worm guts that must have accumulated on my tires during the drive out of the parking lot. I may never eat again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home