Saturday, March 24, 2007

Signs.

Outside my cafeteria at work is a sign that says something along the lines of "We appreciate and value our minorities", and shows a picture of an Asian woman in scrubs. I wonder what would happen if some person, armed with a magic marker, inserted the word "racial" between "our" and "minorities". Logically, it only makes explicit what the poster already implies, so theoretically, there would be no problem, right?

Of course, I don't hate my job enough to do that. Or at least, I don't hate my paycheck enough.

Sometimes, you cannot even get an honorary degree. Hell, I'm a poor slacker and even I could get the regular kind. This raises all kinds of questions in my mind about what it means to be an alum of a school; if you didn't go there as an actual student, and nobody says you deserve a degree from the school (even an honorary one), what the hell does "alumnus" mean? (A nursling, it turns out.)

Coffee: good for humans and non-humans alike! Who knew? Although I am disturbed by the use of the word "trademark" in that article. If the Mormons can claim trademarks like that, what else gets shuffled into that category? I kind of like the idea of the Bible being subject to intellectual property laws, but images of Buddha ought to be free for anyone to use. But I guess it's a non-issue (translation: very important news story), since the overwhelming majority of religious iconography gets grandfathered into the public domain. Say what you will about religion; at the very least, we can agree that it is old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home