Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Day of eeevvviiillll.

Sorry; that title should read "evil". Sorry, everyone. Sorry.

Anyway, I doubt sincerely that I am the first person to mention today's coincidental date. It is 11:42 pm where I am, and still I doubt I'll be the last today.

Thus far, the only bad thing that has happened is that my coworkers were a little too paranoid about today's date. Yes, the Bible supposedly says that "666" is the number of the Beast or some such ominously vague thing. But before you click on the link, can you tell me where in the Bible this is found? If not, how do you really know it's in there? Oh, so you read it, and just happened to forget what book, chapter, and verse it's in? Well, I can't blame you; it's a pretty boring read, and I can't even tell you the page numbers of significant parts of good books that I've read. Let's call it a draw.

But really, it's a slight coincidence based on a passage in a book that has been overly translated throughout millenia. Not end-of-the-world stuff, exactly. I can think of one little town that seems to have the right attitude. I am not sorry I missed it (it seems like it would be pretty lame), but I'm glad I knew it was there. Maybe Penn Jillette, who was hoping his kid would be born today, will mention it tomorrow. And maybe he won't. My major regret about today is that this kind of attention isn't paid to Mole Day, Pi Day, or even Black History Month. Just something to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home