Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Angry roommates- approach with caution.

Got back from my friends' place last night. I found the living room rearranged, and the cable box disconnected from the TV. This morning, Lezzie Borden angrily showed me a coax cable, attached to which was a coax plug, which used to be attached to the TV. It turns out, while they were adjusting the furniture, the plug snapped off the set, for which they blame me.

Okay, it seems a little hard to understand from what I've given you, but they actually have a side to the story, and since I'm feeling a little guilty, I will even tell you what it is.

When first we got digital cable, I attemted to install it on my own. I've done this a few times before, each time without incident. What I didn't know, that fateful day, was that the cable and the plug had been fused together somehow. Since my attemts to adjust the cable manually weren't working, I did what any self-respecting primate would do in the situation: I flung my feces at it. Then I used a tool. I was working the cable/plug combo with a pair of pliers when she came home and told me about the whole situation, at which point I abandoned my attempts at electrical repair and let her take over. This incident led the roommate to believe that I was responsible for the mutilation of her television this weekend. I wonder if she'll sue. You may think, "She would sue over that?!" But I assure you, a woman whose first reaction to any perceived slight is a mixture of boundless anger and insatiable vengeance would, in fact, sue. Over a $300 TV. Which could probably be repaired. But not by me. (Thank you, Dave Barry.)

So yeah, they're pretty ticked off at me. On the other hand, I saw the mail and laundry keys for the first time in a week last night, and I won't have to talk to either of them for a while, so really, there isn't much of a downside for me. Being heartless has its advantages. I wonder if the field of accidental evil has tutors?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home