Saturday, February 11, 2006

Exhausted.

I was on phlebotomy duty today at work. That meant lugging an admittedly lightweight tray of blood-collecting supplies up and down the floors of the hospital, finding patients, and hoping against hope that I'd be able to actually get blood from their vein into the vial it needed to go into. This is harder than you'd think, and frankly, I'm not as good at it as I ought to be. In short, I made a lot of unnecessary holes in people today, so I feel pretty bad. I have decided that alcohol will help my problems, but not good alcohol. I don't deserve Guinness, or even Sam Adams. So I'm drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade, because hey, I'm not a savage.

Frankly, my greatest successes tonight weren't the patients I found out I wouldn't have to draw. There were a couple of patients who told me they didn't even feel the needle go into their arms, so I get to give myself a little credit. But all in all, it wasn't a pleasant evening. I'm going to bed; I have to get up tomorrow and do it all over again. Hopefully, it will go better.

1 Comments:

Blogger PaganTomcat said...

you can hunt for my veins any time
-me

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home