Friday, February 15, 2008

How... sweet?


As some of you may know, yesterday was a significant day. In celebration, one of my coworkers handed to me a baggie with various sugared treats inside. Sadly, my old standbys (turkish delights and baklava) were not present in the baggie, but it was a kind effort on her part nonetheless.

I was less impressed, however, with the Tootsie Roll company. In an effort to "cash in" on the more familiar chalk-based candies, Tootsie Roll packages came to me with such romantic sentiments as (and these are direct quotes here):

  • "C U L8R"

  • "WYSIWYG"



Now, it seems to me that, when people can go out and simply buy these heartfelt comments, it cheapens it for the rest of us who bother to spell out "What you see is what you get." And common farewells between passing aquaintances, like "See you later", are simply too precious to be commercialized on a candy wrapper.

It is time for those of us who are truly romantic to wrest our apathy from the major corporations and tell the ones we care about, in a heartfelt manner, "I could pick your face out of a very small crowd".

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad to know romance is not dead!

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home