Monday, February 04, 2008

Art is, evidently, kickass!

So, I've been reading this webcomic for a while. When I started, I think it only took me a half an hour to get through the archives. It's pretty cool. Check it out. It even has an ancillary comic. Like a little comic strip moon. Orbits are fun!

Anyway, it turns out, the artist likes to show off his technique. He's using some crazy technology called, I guess, the cintiq. It's pretty cool-looking, though not for me; I like my keyboard, galdurnit! I'm not in love with it; I'd still like to see an uprising of the Dvorak layout, since this machine is just a wee bit faster than the typewriters the standard qwerty keyboard was made to optimize, but I'd be happy to switch.

Anyway, I can easily see how someone in the graphic arts would be inclined to use the "draw on the screen" system. It seems to work out pretty well, especially when replayed at high-speed. I'm still thinking about what sorts of revolutions in input media would be really awesome; possibilities that are kind of dumb and me-specific include:

  • Knitting: you move your needles in certain ways to make things happen onscreen.

  • Juggling: you throw things in the air, and a couple of cameras built in to the computer track the things and things happen onscreen.

  • Funny faces: This one is almost in use; they've already got the technology (I think) to track your eye movements and react to that, but I'd like to see things happen if you stick out your tongue at the machine.


Anyway, that's just my list. And as long as the computer continues to be used primarily as a document creation/storage device, the keyboard will remain king.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home