Monday, January 07, 2008

Eleven volumes of... what?

So, I was talking with a coworker today about the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, which I am reading at a high rate of speed, not necessarily because of their intriguing plots or well-fleshed-out characters, but because they go pretty quickly. Like potato chips, but less fattening, and more culturally significant. Okay, maybe not that second one. Potato chips are pretty significant, you have to admit.

Anyway, I mentioned that, "I've been reading that series that starts with 'The Golden Compass', and the big controversy is that it promotes atheism, but I'm just not seeing it."
She responded with the question, "Have you read the 'Left Behind' series?"
"I've heard of it; it's the one that starts with the apocalypse, right?"
"Yeah. It's twelve books long."
"And just so we're clear, it starts with the apocalypse, right?"
"Yeah."
"The apocalypse where everyone dies?"
"Yeah. Have you read it?"
"... No."

I had been trying to make the point that the controversy surrounding the supposedly atheist series is a lot of pointless noise (for another example, see any controversy ever), but I think I got unwittingly trumped. I don't know whether to be deeply irritated or deeply impressed.

(And the 'Dark Materials' series actually isn't that bad; it's a pretty standard fantasy series, as far as I'm concerned. I don't know that you can call a series where the Christian monotheistic god is a character 'atheist'; at best, you might be able to call it Nietzschean.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home