Thursday, July 19, 2007

I feel like Michael Moore, but for Michael Moore.

So, I rented a couple of DVDs tonight. They were old TV series from the late 90s. You might have heard of "Dilbert: The Series" (or at least the comic strip). It was a little funnier than I remember, and I don't think Fox aired all the episodes, because I remember a lot less continuity than was demonstrated in the episodes I watched tonight. The other show was Michael Moore's "The Awful Truth". It's about what you'd expect, but it only takes 30 minutes to watch an episode (I'd thought it was an hour-long show).

So here's my problem: the Dilbert DVD had no subtitles, but the closed caption worked just fine. I like to read what I'm hearing, damnit. Awful Truth? Nothing. No titles, no CC, nothing. This came as a little shock to me, but might have come as more of a shock to the people who live around me, and who may have wanted to sleep during the night. I admit, I could have waited to watch the shows, but this is when I'm awake, and it's nice to be able to turn the volume way down.

Anyway, I decided that this was an unfair situation, so I wrote an e-mail. To Michael Moore. As follows:

Dear Mr. Moore,

While I have long respected your work as a documentarian, I have a question about the DVD version of your old TV program (which I only recently discovered) "The Awful Truth". There do not appear to be either subtitles or closed captions on my copy of the Season One discs; why not? I understand if there were technical issues, or if the then-new technology of DVDs was not understood enough to implement one of these features, or if you simply did not have control over the decision, but still, I'd like to know.


I wonder how he'll respond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home