Monday, May 07, 2007

Stupid font... Copy & paste have failed me!

I'm writing this on Monday, May 7, at about 7:30 am. It won't get posted until later, though; damn this internet deprivation! My neighbor really needs to get his/her act together, so I can mooch once more.

Anyway, this morning at work, I found myself in a supremely weird position, where two of my most deeply ingrained social tendencies clashed. It seems that one of the myriad devices we use at the lab was acting up, and made a beeping noise that served no real purpose, except to remind me of the old video game "Wolfenstein 3D". You may remember it; it consisted almost exclusively of killing Nazis. So I mentioned this fact to the girl working next to me, who responded in a way that nothing in my (or, I imagine, anyone else's) life could have prepared me for: "You know, I'm three quarters Nazi."

Do I apologize at this point? What's the protocol here?

I did manage to wiggle through the only loophole I could find, and it was a bit of a tight fit. I asked her, "So what's your fourth grandparent?"

"Polish", came her reply. I don't know why, exactly, but I felt a profound sense of relief at that point. I think because I had negotiated the only dodge available to me, and it was an amazing feat for me especially, since I am so horribly socially awkward. I think that worked in my favor; being so bad at nice, normal situations has made me good at the completely unprecedented.

Speaking of work, last night was by far the best night I've had in the lab since I signed on to third shift. I've been sleeping better during the day, there wasn't much work around the lab, and (here's the kicker) instead of two lab assistants during the night, we had three! This is a major coup. Normally, one lab assistant will do phlebotomy (da daaa, da dada), while the other fields phone calls, organizes specimens, and generally acts as a middleman/beaurocrat/buffer between nurses and the lab techs (who actually run the tests). Of course, when one person goes on break, the other has to pick up the slack, and delays set in, and all is shot to hell. With three people, last night ran smooth as silk. It was a trial run; the bosses wanted to see whether making this a permanent thing would be a good idea. I will report back to them that I don't want to live in a world where we only have two lab assistants overnight. I don't think I'll be overstating the benefit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my. 3/4 Nazi. That's great. I'm still laughing! What's wrong with our educational system/society in general? Yikes.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home