Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Every day out of law school etc.

Ha ha! Isn't the post below this one fun! What? You haven't read it yet? Well, skip down to it now, because without it, this post won't make much sense. Go ahead. I'll wait.

...

What, really? You're just now finishing? Next time, read faster. This isn't a charity, you know.

So back to what I was saying: That first email provoked in me an overwhelming feeling to respond with the perfectly obvious, yet entirely beside the point comment: "curricular" is not a noun! It is an adjective! It cannot be pluralised! "Curricula" is the plural form of "curriculum"! What is WRONG with you people?

I decided, however, not to write such an email, as I felt, this being a law school, someone else would do the work for me. And here it is.

Subject: Sour grapes can make decent vinegar, though
To: LAWSTUDENT@LISTS.WAYNE.EDU

Okay, I am not even going to enter this potentially heated discussion on the
merits, since I think that at this point during my law school career, it
would not be appropriate or polite to do so. However, as a former Latin
scholar, I feel my esteemed Latin professor would want me to point out that
----'s original use of "curriculars" and ****'s correction of it were
both incorrect. "Curricular" is an adjective, not a noun. As such, it
cannot be correctly pluralized. "Curricula", is the plural form of the noun
"curriculum." That said, it is obvious from the colloquial context that
---- was referring to "curricular activities". If he had submitted his
article to the Law Review prior to publication, as April sarcastically
suggests, it appears as though it still would have been published
incorrectly.

I know I am splitting hairs here. Although I am not a member of Law Review
(and with all due respect to the dedicated people who are), I can still be
somewhat of a snob, as well. :-)
This email makes me all kinds of happy. It is exactly what I would've written, if I were a slightly better writer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home