Thursday, November 08, 2007

One of those questions...

This seems like one of those questions that I like to ask and which pisses people off. Mind you, I don't ask just to piss people off; I'm genuinely concerned about the answer. In fact, people's negative reaction is detrimental to the whole process; the more pissed off someone is, the less likely I am to get any useful information. I am usually left with the phrase "well, but you know what I/they mean!" and an empty feeling in the depths of my soul.

So why do people get frustrated with me when I ask things like, "What does organic mean at the grocery store?" or "Why should you have to live in this city to work for its government?" (Should there be a second question mark after that second quote? Are these more of those kinds of questions?) The answer, as near as I can tell, comes (as I so love) in several parts. A: People think that they know the answer because they're used to the situation. B: Once actually asked about it, people realize they do not know the answer, or the one they made up isn't as satisfactory as they'd thought. C: They think that I know the answer, and am just asking the question to be an asshole. And finally, D: People really hate displaying their own ignorance, so they just stop being curious about anything so they can look smart when they know something, and dismiss what they don't understand.

I'm pretty sure I do the same thing, though (perhaps because of natural assholery) I can't think of any good examples off the top of my head. It does surprise me, though, that there aren't more Trivial Pursuit related shootings. That you hear of, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home