Monday, October 08, 2007

It's that time again...

The leaves are turning, days are getting shorter, and the air is getting cooler, which can mean only one thing:

It's Nobel time!

This year's first announced Prize is in the field of medicine, and goes to a team of an American and a Briton for the process by which mouse genes are specifically targeted and manipulated.

This, to me, is simultaneously exciting and kind of a let down. I'm glad to get Nobel season underway, but really, why start it with medicine? Why not literature? I mean, yes, literature is significant and important and I'm all for it and everything, but really, Nobel prizes are all about human adavancement and intellectual achievement. I think we should have a little more suspense, and literature, significant though it is, does not require the advanced degrees or have as measurable an impact on human lives as medicine. Here's my fantasy Nobel lineup:

1: Literature.
2: Either Physics or Chemistry.
3: Economics.
4: Either Chemistry or Physics.
5: Medicine.
And drum-roll please...
6: Peace!

I think that's the best order for us, the audience, to be entertained by these dramatic announcements declaring just how awesome we, as human beings, can be. What would your fantasy lineup be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home