Tuesday, April 08, 2008

On the road, at last.

Okay, I haven't officially officially hit the road yet, but I've made hella good progress. I'm at my parents' house for the night, while my car gets checked out for damage by someone professionally qualified to do these things. Assuming all goes well (and when has it ever?), I'll be heading out to Kalamazoo tomorrow, and from there, points west.

In other news, I'm really excited about a new printer. It is a 3D printer; it builds physical objects layer by layer. That's not the only reason I'm excited, though. I'm also geeked about the mentality behind the people who are doing this project. First off, they want to make the design for their machine open source. This is a very good thing; it'll help people get their hands on the technology and start playing around with it in cool and fun new ways, which is good for all involved (and even those who aren't).

Second, they're working really hard on making this printer capable of making one of these printers. Yes, it will (hopefully/eventually) be capable of producing all of the parts necessary to make another printer. I think that's kickass.

So if you could make a physical object with any shape you choose, what would you make?

(Okay, I know what shape you would make, but get your mind out of the gutter for a second.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home